Sample media about Dr. David Vaughan and his projects, past and present
* Dr. David E. Vaughan has previously worked for and with many other marine science organizations over the years and has now retired from those entities.
- New York Times, November 25, 2014- A Lifesaving Transplant for Coral Reefs
- 2017 The Parker/Gentry Award, For Excellence in Conservation/Environmental Biology, The Field Museum
- 2008, Eugenie Clark Scientific Explorer Award, Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium
- Vaughan, D. E. and R. E. Good. 1981. Production Ecology of Eelgrass in Little Egg Harbor. Bulletin of the New Jersey Academy of Science 26:2
- Vaughan, D. E. and R. E. Good. 1982. Production of the epiphyte component of an eelgrass (Zostera -marina) community in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. Bulletin of the New Jersey Academy of Science. 27:1
- Vaughan, A E. 1982. Production ecology of eelgrass (Zostera marina) and its epiphytes in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. Ph.D. Thesis. Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey. 142 pp.
Vaughan D. E. 1982. Comparison of the submerged aquatic vegetation of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey from 1977-1982. Center for Coastal and Environmental Studies. Rutgers University.
- Vaughan, D. E. and J. R. Ryther. 1988. Field nursery production of hard clam (Mercenaria mercenaria) seed, 19th Ann. Meet. World Aqua. Assoc., Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Vaughan, D. E. and R. M. Baptiste. 1988. Field nursery of the hard clam, Mercenaria mercenaria, using floating upwellers. Journ. Shell. Res. 7(l): 207 .
- Gustafson, R. G., D. E. Vaughan and J. H. Ryther. 1988. Experiments in the artificial rearing of the angel wing clam, Cyrtopleura costata. a potential aquaculture species. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society .
- Tan Tiu, Antonieto and D. E. Vaughan. 1988. Food value of tropical microalgae to Mercenaria mercenaria larvae. Jour. Shell. Res. 7(1): 206.
- Vaughan, D. E., Antonieto Tan Tiu, Kimon T. Bird and Thomas C. Chiles. 1989. Influence of Temperature on Chemical Composition of Tropical Microalgal Species. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Vaughan, D. E. 1989. Clam Culture: State of the Art in Florida. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Vaughan, D. E., Kimon T. Bird, R. Leroy Creswell and Marsha Pardee. 1989. Manual for Growing the Hardshell clam in Florida. Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- Pardee, Marsha G., Kimon T. Bird and David E. Vaughan. 1989. Field Growout and Economic Analysis of Mercenaria mercenaria in the Indian River Lagoon. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society.
- Tan Tiu, Antonieto, David Vaughan, Thomas Chiles, and Kimon Bird. 1989. Food value of eurytopic microalgae to bivalve larvae of Cyrtopleura costata, Crassostrea virginica and Mercenaria mercenaria. Journal of Shellfisheries Research.
- Sturmer, L.N., L. Creswell and D.E. Vaughan. 1990. Preliminary data on subtidal cultivation of oysters using the flexible belt system in Apalachicola Bay, Florida. J World Aquaculture Society 21(4).
- Vaughan, D.E., L. Creswell and L. Sturmer. 1990. Aquaculture technology transfer to the oyster industry in Apalachicola Bay, Florida. J World Aquaculture Society 21(4).
- Creswell, L., D.E. Vaughan and L. Sturmer. 1991. Manual for the Cultivation of the American Oyster, Crassostrea virginica, in Florida. AMDAP Aquaculture Report Series, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Tallahassee, Florida 50pp.
- Gustafson, R.G., R.L. Creswell, T.R. Jacobsen and D.E. Vaughan. 1991. Larval biology and mariculture of the angel wing clam, Cyrtopleura costata. Aquaculture 95: 257-279.
- Adams, C., J.C. Cato, J.E. Easley, S. Kemp, W. Manhan, J.J. Manzi, M. Osterling, R. Pomeroy, E. Thunberg, D. Vaughan and R. Walker. 1991. Investing in Commercial Hard Clam Culture: A Comprehensive Guide to the South Atlantic States, Fla. Sea Grant. 128 pp.
David E. Vaughan (cont.)
- Thunberg, E.M., R.N. Wledon, H. Thomforde and D.E. Vaughan. 1992. Marine Aquaculture Enforcement: Passing the Buck. Journal of Shellfish Research 11: 177-182.
- Vaughan, D., R.L. Creswell, and J. Scarpa. 1994. Compilation of methods for identifying marine products. Alan Pierce, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
- Sturmer, L.N., E. Quesenberry, J. Scarpa and D.E. Vaughan. 1995. Development of a Shellfish Aquaculture Industry on the West Coast of Florida. Journal of Shellfish Research 14: 279.
- Scarpa, J., D.E. Vaughan and R. Longley. 1995. Induction of Triploidy in the Eastern Oyster Crassostrea virginica using 6-DMAP. Journal of Shellfish Research 14: 277.
- Scarpa, J., L. Sturtner, E. Quesenberry, R. Longley and D. Vaughan. 1996. Performance of triploid oysters, Crassostrea virginica, grown by Project O.C.E.A.N. Participants. Journal of Shellfish Research 15: 512-513. (Abstract)
- Vaughan, D., A. Davis-Hodgkins, M. Ednoff, J. Scarpa and P. Van Wyk. 1997. How Do You Train Fishermen to be Aquaculturalists? Harbor Branch’s Aquaculture Training and Education Programs. Island Aquaculture and Tropical Aquaculture – Martinique 97, European Aquaculture Society, pp. 310-311.
- Vaughan, D.E., E. Quesenberry, J. Scarpa and M. Ednoff. 1997. Florida Shellfish Culture Training Programs and Their Benefits. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 277.
- Davis-Hodgkins, M., J. Scarpa and D.E. Vaughan. 1997. Training Aquaculturalists for the 21st Century: Harbor Branch’s Aquaculture Education and Training Programs. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 285.
- Davis-Hodgkins, M., M. Ednoff and D.E. Vaughan. 1997. Aquaculture Development Park: Industry, Training and Support Programs. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 312.
- Sturmer, L.N. and D.E. Vaughan. 1997 Florida Hard Clam Aquaculture Production: An Emerging Industry. Journal of Shellfish Research 16: 313.
- Schukert, K.J., Brown, K., Scarpa, J., Wright, A. and Vaughan, D. 1997. Evaluation of culture conditions for a tunicate, Ectieinascidia turbinata, producing antitumor compounds. WAS.
- Scarpa, J. and D.E. Vaughan. 1998. Culture of the marine shrimp, Penaeus vannamei, WAS, Las Vegas, Nevada .
- Scarpa, J., Allen, S.E. and Vaughan, D.E. 1999. Freshwater culture of the marine shrimp, Penaeus vannamei, Aquaculture America, Tampa Florida.
- Davis, M., Main, K., Vaughan, D. and Creswell, L. 2000. Aquaculture in the Bahamas: A New Outlook. Report submitted to the Bahamas Government, 78p.
- Vaughan, D.E., Goodbody-Gringley, G., Leber, K., Main, K., and Page C. 2012. Advancing culture technologies for propagation of coral species for restoration. 12th International Coral Reef Symposium.
- Hall, E., Vaughan, D.E., and Crosby, M. 2012. Development of Ocean Acidification Flow thru Experimental Raceway System. 12th International Coral Reef Symposium.
- Leber, K., Vaughan, D.E., Moe, Martin and Page.C. 2013. Development of the final larval and settlement methods under Ocean Acidification Conditions on stages of Diadema. Final Report, Protect Our Reefs Grant Program
- Page, C., and Vaughan, D.E. 2013. Reskinning of reef building coral skeleton: novel approach to mortality and increasing OA. Final Report, Protect Our Reefs Grant Program.
- Leber, K., Vaughan, D.E., Moe, Martin and Page C 2015. Investigation of causal factors of inhibition of larval rudiment formation and metamorphosis in a key herbivore, Diadema anitllarum Final report, Protect Our Reefs Grant Program
- Vaughan, D.E. 2014 A Quest to regrow a coral reef. In The New York Times, November 25, Vol CLXIV No. 56,696
- Forsman, Z, C.Page, R. Toonen and D.Vaughan. 2015. Growing coral larger and faster: micro-colony fusion as a strategy for accelerating coral cover PEERJ 1313